- Rice (Basmati) – 1 kg
- Onion – 200 grams
- Ghee – 150 grams
- Oil – 100 grams
- Cinnamon – 1gm
- Cardamom – 1gm
- Clove – 1gm
- Ginger – 100gm
- Garlic – 50gm
- Coriander Leaves –¼ hand
- Mint Leaves –¼ hand
- Green Chili – 4
- Tomato – 100gm
- Water – 1.5 litres
Things to be done before we start cooking
- Rinse 1 kg of basmati rice softly in clean water. Repeat it again to clean it fully and then soak it in a bowl with fresh water. Keep it aside.
- Chop onions and tomatoes and keep them aside.
- Take 100g of peeled ginger and 50g of garlic, grind them until it becomes paste.
Steps to Prepare
Take a suitable vessel that can cook 1kg rice. Place it on the big burner.
(prefer 3 litres vessel so that we can avoid spill over while cooking)
- Add 200gms of thinly sliced onions in the vessel
- Pour in150g cooking oil to fry the content.
- Pour 100 ml – ground nut
- Add 1 gram each of cinnamon, cardamom and cloves to it.
- Fry the contents in high flame until the colour of onion becomes light brown.
Once onion turns light brown, turn the stove to low-flame and add handful of coriander leaves and mint leaves to the pan. Stir for 10 seconds.
The mint and coriander leaves give good aroma to the biryani and will last throughout cooking.
Add the below and then stir to mix them well –
- Green chilli – 4
- Ginger garlic paste – 2 tablespoons
- Tomatoes (chopped) – 100 gm
- Salt – 1 tablespoon
- Stir well for 10 seconds.
Pour 1.5 litres of water. Keep flame in HIGH. Close the vessel with a suitable lid.
Let the water boil for 5 minutes in high flame.
Once steam comes out from sides of lid – we can confirm that water is boiling well). Remove the lid.
Then we need to put the soaked basmati rice into the boiling water.
Make sure all the rice is completely immersed under water.
We can also check for the saltness level at this time – take a little of water and taste it.
If needed, we can add extra salt. Then stir it.
Now, close the vessel with a lid. Let the flame be in HIGH.
Let the contents boil in high flame for 30 to 45 seconds.
After that, open the lid, stir gently for 10 seconds.
Then, turn flame to LOW. Close the lid. Keep a weight on the lid.
After 10 minutes in low flame, rice would have cooked well.
Open the lid, check if all water is drained out, if yes then our ghee rice is ready to be served.
The ghee rice tastes good with dalcha – Please find how to prepare dalcha in the below link –