The easiest way to make a tasty biryani – let’s see how to prepare ½ Kg of mushroom biryani.
- Mushroom – 200 gm
- Unity basmati rice – 1/2 kg
- Oil – 125ml
- Star Anise – 1
- Bay leaf – 1
- Cinnamon – 2
- Clove – 2
- Cardamom – 2
- Fennel seed (soambu) – 1/4 tablespoon
- Red chilli powder – 1/4 tablespoon
- Black Pepper Powder – 1/4 tablespoon
- Coriander powder – 1/4 tablespoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tablespoon
- Salt – 1 tablespoon
- Onion – 200 gm (or 3 medium size)
- Tomato – 200 gm (or 3 medium size)
- Curd – 100 ml
- Lemon – Half
- Green chilli – 4
- Ginger – 50 gm
- Garlic – 25 gm
- Water – 800ml
- Coriander leaves – little bit
- Mint leaves – little bit
Things to do before we start cooking –
- Rinse ½ kg of basmati rice softly in clean water.
Repeat it again to clean fully and then soak it in a bowl with fresh water.
- Chop onions and tomatoes finely and keep them aside.
- Take 50g of peeled ginger and 25g of garlic, grind them until it becomes paste.
- Clean the mushroom well
- The steps to clean the mushrooms are explained below –
First, press gently and
break off the stick like portion.
- Next, peel off the thin outer skin completely from the mushroom as shown below –
- Don’t remove the brown portion below mushroom. Put the mushroom in a bowl of water.
- Stick like portal à We need to peel skin – soak it in water to clean. we can add it as one whole piece, no need to cut it into pieces for biryani.
- We remove the thin skin – so that mud and dirt get removed – also the masala will soak well into the mushroom pieces while cooking.
- For biryani making, we can cut the mushroom into 2 or 4 pieces or even add it as one full piece.
Preferably add it as one whole piece.
- Clean the mushrooms in water – then place them in a dry plate separately.
Steps to Prepare
Place a 3 litre or 4 litre vessel on big burner. Keep flame in HIGH.
We need to add the below in the vessel –
• chopped onions – 200 gm
• star anise – 1
• bay leaf (brinji leaf) – 1
• cloves – 3
• cinnamon – 2 small pieces
• cardamom – 2
• fennel seed (soambu) – 1/4 tablespoon
Pour 125 ml of oil.
Stir the contents till onion get fried well and turn brownish red.
Once onion turns brown, turn the flame to LOW.
Then we start adding the below to the vessel with fried onions –
• a little of coriander leaves
• a little of mint leaves
• Green chilli – 4
• Ginger garlic paste – add all the paste that we have grinded
• Red chilli powder – 1/4 tablespoon
• Black pepper powder – 1/4 tablespoon
• Coriander powder – 1/4 tablespoon
• Turmeric powder – 1/4 tablespoon
• Salt – 1 tablespoon
• Tomato (chopped finely) – 200 gm (3 or 4 medium sized)
• Curd – 100 ml
• Lemon juice – squeezed from half lemon.
After adding all the above things, start stirring the contents in high flame for 5 minutes at least.
Now, let’s add cleaned mushroom (200 gm) to the vessel.
Pour 800 ml of water.
Place a lid on the vessel. Let the flame be in high.
The water will start boiling and we need to wait till steam comes out from the sides of lid.
Once steam starts coming from sides – then remove the lid. Stir gently for 5 seconds.
Then add 500 gm of cleaned basmati rice.
Stir gently once.
Close the lid.
Keep flame in HIGH.
Let the water and contents boil for 2 minutes approximately.
Once the steam comes out from side of lids, remove the lid.
Stir gently for 5 seconds.
Now we need can taste a little of water – to check if spiciness and saltness are good.
If it’s needed – then add salt or chilli or lime to balance the taste level.
Don’t forget to stir a little to mix the extra added things.
Now, close the vessel with that lid.
Turn the flame to LOW.
Let the contents cook in low flame for 10 to 12 minutes.
Now, remove the lid.
Check for water at the bottom. If water drained fully, then it means biryani is ready to be served.
Thus, tasty mushroom biryani is prepared and ready to be tasted.